Thursday, October 19, 2006

I Find Myself Remembering

I find myself remembering a steward I knew back in my union days. She was tall, pale-skinned and broad. All her body movements were slow. When she talked about challenging unfair dismissal, she always said TRIBUNERAL and no one ever corrected her.

The minority who knew just looked at each other when she said it, and smirked. Some of the others ended up saying TRIBUNERAL themselves.

For some reason I find myself remembering that woman tonight. She had a talent for shit-stirring, and when the shit started flying, she would step into the background and watch me take it full in the face.

Society seems to be divided up sometimes between creators and destroyers. Those who nurture and those who tear apart. And everybody thinks they create and nurture. Nobody believes they tear apart and destroy.

The one thing that's different about me is, I never know.

No comments: