Saturday, January 12, 2008

Who I'd Like To Meet

Here's another snippet from the MySpace page, written today in answer to the question about who you would like to meet. I share it here because I think it sums up my position pretty well.

Anyone who's not afraid of their own mind. People who are well-read.You think that's snobbish? Fine! But please spare me the inverted snobbery that says somebody is only socially acceptable if their most challenging reading is found in the gossip column of the Sun.You already have strength in numbers, there being about forty million of you in the UK. Why do you need another recruit? I want to meet people with an interest in what's happening beyond the tip of their own nose. If you vote Tory or Republican, you'd better have a sense of humour to make up for it. If you think the fabric of this country is being torn apart by lax immigration or homosexuality, fuck off now! If you don't like a hefty drinking session every now and then, go pitch your tent elsewhere. I hate puritanism and I've never been anywhere near a gym, other than the one I pass on Abington Street in Northampton when I'm heading for Ramsbottom's chip shop. Sometimes I feel I am the last person alive who likes to get pissed AND discuss the parlous state of contemporary culture. My dream is that one day a beautiful or a once-beautiful woman will come along armed with a library of worn books and prove me wrong.

No comments: