Saturday, May 27, 2006

A Rock Formation Is Named For The Author

splake--or "splakesheare", as Dave Church dubbed him--has created a map of the trail to his beloved cliffs, with all the notable points along the way renamed according to his personal iconography. A great idea, especially since t.kilgore icons include great poets like Brautigan and Huffstickler, and novelists of the calibre of Norbert Blei and Edward Abbey. Well, into that rather awesome gallery of writing heroes comes none other than...me. "Hmm,hmm," as the man himself would say. I genuinely doubt my right to be in such company, at the present time at least, but I'm flattered fit to burst. So now a part of the Upper Peninsula in Michigan, near Calumet, shall be known henceforth to poets (for splake will surely be the poet through whose eyes the U.P. is seen for generations), as "hodder basalt ridge". I love it. Now I have to go away and do something to earn it.

No comments: