Thursday, May 25, 2006

An Explanation

A few visitors to SP have commented, with friendly concern and puzzlement, on the times that many of these posts are made. Am I really seated at the computer at 5am or midnight writing poetry or berating somebody for some perceived stupidity somewhere? Well, yes. I used to have a problem with the clock on Blogger, but I fixed that.
So don't I get any sleep? Have I no life beyond this computer?
I am a partial insomniac, if such a thing exists. Things get to me and start rolling around in my head and when that happens sleep comes late and finishes early; and there's never been a thing I could do about it. Plus I start work at 8 am and have no car to travel the 12 miles to my workplace, so I have to use public transport. Which means fitting in with someone else's timetable. Most of the time I have to be out of my front door by 6.45am to make it on time for 8.
And then there is the matter of the spirit. Work sucks it out. Work erodes the spirit until what's left is, as the old poets would have said, "exceeding small". I have to have some time with the Poem and related matters before I go out because I know that once I reach work it'll be 7 or 8 hours of soul-sapping balls and nonsense. And when I come home it'll be another 2 or 3 hours before I can get my rear-end off the sofa.
So there you have it. An explanation. I am not a vampire who only writes in hours of darkness. I am just another shafted citizen in an insane economic system that serves only itself and ruins the better part of all those who participate in it. And I'm trying hard not to get ruined.
At this time of the morning it's hard to see the likelihood of victory, I'll tell you.

No comments: