Saturday, April 12, 2008

A Poem By Emma Cox

SUFFOLK PUNCH is normally the place for my ego ravings, but a friend of mine showed me the following poem, which she wrote, yesterday and I wanted to share it with you. I think it's a really eloquent statement of belief; and although it's written by a Christian and I'm a Buddhist (albeit an inadequate one), you can see the common ground of compassion that the two systems can meet on. (Adding a fairly pedagogical note, I'd say you're pretty likely to meet a good number of Muslims and Hindus on that ground as well.)

CORRESPONDENCES TO THE KING

Jesus--my Saviour and my King!
How could you love me after all I have done and continue to do?
In my heart I know it's true, the message you came from Heaven to give,
but in my mind I am so confused!
Every day another killing, another loved life lost. How come, my King? Where R U in this?

Dear Child, I am in Heaven and I love you very much. I know their pain, every parent whose child has been slain.
I sent my only begotten son as a living sacrifice, to pay the highest price!
Instead of a crown He wore thorns, instead of a robe of purple they ripped His flesh til He wore a robe of scarlet!
Instead of His name being lifted in adoration, He was lifted as a curse on a cross.

This life is not easy, never did I say it was!
but read my Word and respond as I am calling you!
Leave you as a forsaken orphan? This is something I promise I will never do!


copyright Emma Cox 2008

1 comment:

zimgirl said...

emma this is good stuff.Continue to let God divinely inspire you to write poetry. Continue to use your creative gifts for God's glory.