Monday, April 23, 2007

The Poem And The Pound

Worked a twelve hour shift at the day job yesterday. Retired to bed at 10pm not even in the mood to watch Chelsea on tv throwing away the best opportunity they've had all year to overhaul Manchester United in the Premiership title race. Every impartial observer in the country wants Man United to win because they play more attractive football. But last night I couldn't have cared less. And poetry was even further down the list.

It's hard trying to be a great literary figure and make a living in a tough job in one of the most expensive countries in the world. But I suppose I'm not alone in that, much as I would like to think I am. Sometimes your mind just isn't in that poetry space, and nothing you can do is going to put it there. So go home when you can, take off your shoes, open your first bottle and wait...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, I have to get into "the zone" in order to write poetry -- and that means reading lots of it; so if i don't read it, I can't write it. It's a vicious cycle.

Bruce Hodder said...

You're right. That's why your own two wonderful books have been so helpful to me...