Saturday, October 20, 2007

New One: LUCKY

New Poem: Lucky
I wrote this poem this morning. I thought, when I'd finished it, how funny it would be if I posted it on the internet, then stepped outside and got hit by a truck. But maybe my sense of humour is a little weird.

LUCKY

It occurs to me today that I am lucky.
Lucky to have cold winter mornings
to wake into with aching back and neck.
Lucky opening the curtains
seeing condensation on my bedroom window,
the giant sheriff's car outside choking
as the skinny English owner tries to start it.
Lucky I can have a morning shit,
some people can't, and how I'd miss
that spring-cleaned feeling in my bowels
just before I pull my trousers up.
I'm lucky.
Lucky somebody invented instant coffee.
Lucky Monica Dickens wrote "One Pair of Feet"
in 1942, I'm reading it engrossed
back underneath my duvet.
Lucky I have friends,
people I can call or email later
whose eccentricities I can wonder at.
Lucky, even, that I have a job to go to,
the streets are damn cold this time of year.
I'm lucky, yeah,
outside I hear a paramedic's siren,
some poor bastard's time is up for sure.

3 comments:

tom said...

great list and a fine ending

wish it would stop raining here- i am ready for snow

Bruce Hodder said...

Here it's just cold. I mean, the sort of cold that gives you a damn headache and makes you want to go to bed. But you're probably used to it up there, aren't you?

tom said...

cold here is usually dry - not his 5 weeks of damp, rainy weather

dry cold and snow you can do things in - and be a little comfortable -

but today it is sunny and i had a pasty and strong hot tea for breakfast so i am ready to go
(at least for an hour or so)