Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Mail Strike

The posties went back to work today. I know because I got a First Direct statement through my door. (Can anybody tell me, by the way, whether it's normal for a bank to take £10 out of your account for "bank charges"? What the hell are they? I've never really looked closely at a bank statement before.)

Anyway, back to the posties. I heard on the radio that Britain's business had been "thrown into chaos" or some such, by the action of the postal workers. Very possibly. I was inconvenienced too. Had a job application form winging its way to me and it still hasn't made it, though the closing date passed at the weekend.

But at the risk of sounding like a man of principle, God forbid, can I remind you all whose lives have really been inconvenienced by the strike?

Yeah, the postal workers. And their families. These people don't get paid very much anyway, and while they've been on strike they've been paid nothing. The way the media and the politicians and the average right-wing jerk-off in the street talk about it, you'd think the strike was an act of whimsy by old Lefties who just wanted to make life difficult for Gordon Brown and all those poor businessmen sitting in coffee houses at eleven a.m. eating expensive glazed pastries and drinking coffee with ice cream on top.

No comments: