Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Return of the Egregious Angel

You'll be delighted to hear I'll be posting more regularly on here from now on. I've become a bit soured with Facebook, its ephemerality, and the way it has of sucking you into the consensual world by exposing you continually to hundreds of other lives. Perhaps to anybody other than a writer it would be a good, healthy thing to be able to plug into the public brain every day at a moment's notice. But a writer needs a more arrogant, solipsistic relationship to what is presumed mistakenly to be the real, inevitable world. Well, I do. My isolation from what I see as the lies and the bullshit of ordinary life has always been my power. So from now on there'll be less Facebooking - less discovering who went out last night, who's watching the X-Factor this weekend, who thinks we should stand up and weep before a Union Jack every morning for Our Boys In Afghanistan - and more writing my own stuff, more creating a picture of my own fabulously uninteresting world for anybody who can be bothered to come over here. It's what I used to do before Facebook grabbed me by the ankles and tried to pull me under anyway.

5 comments:

tom said...

I know what you mean - Facebook has drifted far from what I signed on for. Probably keep the accounts open but won't visit as much.

Bruce Hodder said...

I think I originally signed on as a way of getting close to the woman who is now my girlfriend, so in that sense Facebook has outlived its usefulness - especially since this girlfriend is going to be my last.

peter marra said...

I haven't been on as much lately. Between writing and the new temporary job I recently started I don't have as much time. Also FB has so many bells and whistles now I don't have the patience. I do appreciate it because it lets me see what is going on with other writers and publications. I really like this blog.

Bruce Hodder said...

Thank you, Peter. It's good to have writers of the calibre of you and Tom making an appearance. SP'll get better again, now I'm giving it more attention. A couple of years ago the stuff I wrote impressed even me.

Unknown said...

canada goose outlet, canada goose uk, moncler outlet, supra shoes, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, moncler, canada goose, canada goose, moncler, pandora jewelry, ugg boots uk, pandora jewelry, toms shoes, coach outlet, pandora charms, canada goose, marc jacobs, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, sac louis vuitton pas cher, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, bottes ugg, links of london, louis vuitton, montre pas cher, swarovski, doudoune canada goose, juicy couture outlet, swarovski crystal, moncler, hollister, ugg pas cher, karen millen, canada goose, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, pandora charms, moncler, moncler, replica watches, moncler, moncler