Saturday, November 08, 2008

The Next War

One of the fabulous things about Obama's election is that when confronted with racism these past few days, I've been able to point out to the ignorant curs who perpetrate it that history has left them behind. You can stick to an increasingly deluded view of your superiority over a whole race of people if you like, feller,though quite how skin pigmentation is supposed to affect intelligence or morality I've never understood; but there's a black family heading for the White House now and the country everybody else presumes to be terminally racist has voted them in.

Rosa Parks didn't quite know what she was starting all those years ago when she refused to get up off her bus seat to let a white man sit down.

And the struggle for civil rights for black people (and Asians in this country) isn't finished yet. Obama is only the end of the beginning and if we allow ourselves to become complacent about black equality because of his triumph, the racists will sneak up on our flanks and reverse the successes we've had.

It interested me, however, to read in the paper yesterday that one of the most powerful weapons Republicans and religious nuts have in their campaign against equality for gays and lesbians is the support of the black community in America. Unless one man is free, no man is free, as far as I'm concerned. A community only now beginning to free itself from the tyranny of exclusion, disadvantage and violence ought not to be lending its arm to the oppression of another.

5 comments:

All This Trouble... said...

We have a birthday soon...

Well, we do!

Bruce Hodder said...

Kim, I'm being thick. Who does?

All This Trouble... said...

You and I, Bruce. It's a little more than a month out. We must get to planning! You know, to get another year older? Too bad we can't have a little party. I could have my people call your people.

Bruce Hodder said...

Oh yes! That birthday. Mmm, we must do something. By the way, I am my people. Who are yours?

All This Trouble... said...

Well, my people are pretty much just me, too. It should work out famously. I'll bake a couple of loaves of bread and you supply the peanut butter. You bring a couple of candles and I'll bring the absinthe. Oh my. This really is starting to sound like a party!